Calgary Business Fire Awareness Tips
Here are a few fire-safety tips focused on keeping the workplace safe.
- Keep your workplace clean and organized. Mess contributes to fires by providing more fuel to the flames and by limiting access to exits and emergency equipment.
- Place all oily/chemical covered rags in a seal-able metal container. Dispose of this waste on a regular basis.
- Keep machinery on an appropriate maintenance schedule and keep to it, to prevent overheating and sparks.
- Report all electrical hazards immediately faulty wiring is a common cause of fires along with and malfunctioning electrical equipment. Never attempt electrical repairs unless you are qualified and authorized.
- Have easy access to all electrical control panels. Clutter and equipment stored in front of the panels slow down your ability to shut down the power in emergencies.
- Use and store chemicals safely. Read the label and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) to determine if the substances are flammable or hazardous in any way. Provide proper ventilation when using and storing these substances.
- Smoke only in designated areas and extinguish smoking materials safely and thoroughly. Never smoke in storerooms or chemical storage areas. Never exposes areas containing chemicals to open flames of any variety.
- Never block sprinklers, firefighting equipment, or emergency exits.
- Have an emergency information list near telephones. The list should include emergency numbers, company address, and fire evacuation plans.
- Learn the location of all fire extinguishers and how to properly use them.